Since the launch of the first ThinkPad X1 in 2011, it has always been the thinnest and lightest flagship product in our business portfolio. Towards 2019, we focused on developing its key features and adding enhancements to the users who appreciate the fine detail. Moreover, we listened to our customers and developed the look and feel, in a way that represented today’s dynamic and contemporary workforce.
Today we announce our new ThinkPad X1 computers: the seventh generation ThinkPad X1 Carbon and the fourth generation ThinkPad X1 Yoga, and these are the main features:
- ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th generation and X1 Yoga fourth generation are thinner and lighter than ever
- The fourth generation X1 Yoga is now available with an all-aluminum chassis
- New display options, including 400 NHD brightness display and ThinkPad Privacy Guard support
- A new Dolby Atmos-based speaker system and four ultra-sensitive microphones
- Core Intel Processors Updated 8th Generation
- Option to integrate a new LTE-A modem supporting Cat16 with enhanced WLAN and WWAN antenna design
- ThinkShutter is now also available on HD and IR cameras
- “One of our core strategies is to use the insights our customers give us to develop new designs and offer wider choices, as reflected in the X1 line of products. Metallic materials and tested the right processes that will allow us to deliver the quality that ThinkPad customers expect, “said Christian Teisman, senior vice president and director of business computing in Lenovo.
In addition, Lenovo is expanding its portfolio to offer a variety of display solutions and accessories, including the ThinkVision P44w screen with a 43.3-inch display that delivers a wide-screen dual-screen display capability with an ultra-slim frame.
New design language:
One of the aspects that will certainly attract a lot of attention is the new design language of the two new models.
The seventh-generation X1 Carbon, which cannot be mistaken for belonging to the ThinkPad family, will be available with a cover based on visible carbon fiber weave. For years, we called our Windows 10-based flagship computer called the Pragmatic Carbon X1 to draw attention to the material from which its chassis is made. Many of our customers have suggested that in order to assess the strength of the material, it should be visible, as is often reflected in the automotive and racing industries. Accordingly, we have developed for the X1 Carbon Premium model, which comes with a Dolby Vision screen with 4K diagnosis, a top cover that clearly shows the weave, to further emphasize the use of carbon fiber in the world’s lightest 14-inch mobile business.
The ThinkPad X1 Yoga of 2019 is now portable with a precision-machined aluminum chassis and is offered in impressive metallic gray. Although computers with aluminum chassis are not new to the mobile market, the durability and reliability tests we do for our ThinkPad family are so severe that few computers in this classification can pass them. Aluminum is just as strong as carbon fiber, but it needs a little more thickness to provide rigidity and stiffness, so it is usually heavier. The desire to reduce it to meet our weight requirements presented us with design challenges, especially at corners and edges. However, together with our engineering team, we have created a design that is thinner, lighter and smaller than previous TinkPad X1 Yoga computers, while maintaining the tough quality that allows this computer to be used anywhere and for anything, just as you would expect from ThinkPad computers.
“Creating the ThinkPad X1 Yoga in the 2019 version required us to go completely back to the drawing board and develop new approaches. The re-thinking challenge of design, design and materials while maintaining the reliability, quality and usability required for ThinkPad computers was massive, but the end result will provide customers with an experience Fun, ”said Jerry Paradise, Vice President, Business Products Portfolio.
The best audio and visual imaging technologies developed in Dolby
In addition, we partnered with Dolby to bring the newest audio and viewing technologies to the new X1. Beyond the choice of Dolby Vision, which enhances the viewing experience with a particularly sharp and high-quality image, the new X1 Carbon and X1 Yoga come with a Dolby Atmos-based speaker system that creates an enhanced sound experience through four speakers specifically designed and tuned by Dolby, as well as Every pair of headphones. This technology delivers breathtaking quality of rich, deep and accurate audio. The fusion between Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos together makes the ThinkPad X1 a powerful multimedia station.
Everyone has to think about security
Computer hacks have already become commonplace. In 2018, more than 1.4 billion passwords were hacked, and most were sold on the DarkNet dark web. It is estimated that the cost of cybercrime will qualify up to $ 6 trillion by 2021. This is the same amount as the GDP of Japan, the United Kingdom and France together. In the list of victims, there are already quite a few Fortune 500 companies suffering from breaches of reputational damage, a decline in their market value, and in many cases, a loss of money. Security should be the first consideration when purchasing new computer.
Lenovo recently announced the ThinkShield security family of solutions designed to protect your device, identity, information and online connectivity. ThinkPad computers come to the market with some of these security solutions pre-installed to deal face-to-face with security aspects.
Both ThinkPad X1 models also offer, as an option, a new FHD brightness of 400 Nit, which incorporates the ThinkPad PrivacyGuard solution that protects end users’ screen from lurking eyes. ThinkPad Privacy Alert is a unique software that can alert users when someone looks at their screen, in which case it automatically launches PrivacyGuard. Also, the ThinkShutter feature is now available for IR and HD camera models, as well as the speed and security of the fingerprint sensor, which also now offers support for Microsoft SecureBio.
The ThinkPad X1 was born on May 17, 2011 with a 13.3-inch screen and weighs 1.68kg. To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the brand, jump ahead to 2019, and the seventh generation ThinkPad X1 Carbon further enhances the user experience:
- It now offers only 14.95mm thickness and a starting weight of 1.13kg, and is significantly thinner and lighter than the first X1 and also offers a larger 14-inch screen.
- The Dolby Atmos-based speaker system offers two top tweeters and two lower wafers to deliver a more realistic and comprehensive sound as you would for a premium-level laptop.
- Four sensitive microphones enhance the sharing experience in meetings and because the system is already ready for use with a digital assistant, your voice commands are easily understood whether you are using Windows 10 Cortana or Amazon Alexa.
- And if you need to get started, you can continue to be productive with a battery that lasts up to 15 hours, and when you need access to large amounts of information, connecting to the LTE-A network will help you transfer the largest files. Computers are now also available with Cat16-enabled modems that offer data transfer speeds larger than gigabytes.
- A selection of display options includes a 4K Dolby Vision screen with 10-bit color width and stunning 500 Nits or FHD display with enhanced 400 Nits.
- Read more: Microsoft will hold a proclamation event on October 2 – on the new Surface Products section
The first generation of ThinkPad X1 Yoga was launched at CES 2016. Three years later, the fourth generation X1 Yoga multiplayer offers many innovations and enhancements – it’s thinner and lighter and smaller thanks to a thinner frame, and is manufactured with a precise aluminum frame.
In addition, the premium keyboard, display options, Dolby Atmos-based speaker system, sensitive microphones and battery life were also enhanced, as well as the option for the LTE-A modem. Here are some of the improvements in the fourth generation:
- With a weight of less than 1.35 kg and a thickness of 15.2 mm, the X1 Yoga is thinner than the previous generation by 11%
- A narrower frame in all directions allowed the overall size of the computer to be reduced by 17%
- Reinforced aluminum chassis made of precision gray iron
- X1 Yoga now supports all docking station solutions, including the ThinkPad mechanical station
- The proven ThinkPad Pen Pro integration continues with electronic pen support in all situations
Even if you forget it often, accessories can greatly benefit the experience of using computers and improve end-user productivity, whether on desktop or on-the-go use.
- For example, the ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 docking station can help create a comfortable desktop or office environment. With dual UHD display support and some high quality connectors, this docking station also provides charging capacity for some ThinkPad models at a maximum power of 65 watts. It also provides a local network connection and management options that support Wake-on-LAN and PXE Boot, so IT personnel can remotely push and even update system updates if needed.
- Lenovo Pro Stereo USB Headset are headphones that come with a noise canceling microphone and can turn any room into a conference room.
- If you work in a home or in a more private environment, or if you have access to a small conference room or conference room, you may want to choose the Lenovo VOIP 360 Camera speaker. The camera speaker is designed for on-the-go users and offers acoustic reverberation and background noise reduction, along with 360-degree video shooting with four display options that allow you to make split-screen video meetings with a touch of a button. This system supports Skype, Jabber, Cisco Webex, Google Hangouts, and Tencent QQ. We are currently working with Amazon for future permission to work with Alexa and Chime.
- With the Lenovo 700 Ultraportable Bluetooth Speaker you can enjoy some entertainment as well as hold on-the-go conferencing. With 11mm thickness, this is the world’s thinnest Bluetooth speaker and delivers crisp sound quality through four internal speakers that work for up to 8 hours in a row. Also with USB Type-C connections and IPX2 standard water splash support.
- And to finish two accessories designed with the mind of small and medium-sized businessmen on the road, but can also help home users. Lenovo Powered USB-C Hub takes advantage of the new USB Type-C connections found on laptops to enable expansion through external devices. It also incorporates cable management capability, so it’s a very portable solution. And if you need to go even further, you should also take a bag that will allow you to carry your computer and all your Novo accessories. Weighing only 900 grams, the Lenovo Commuter Backpack has room for 15.6-inch mobile phones, various cables and accessories. With a waterproof finish, it also offers secure pockets for storing valuable items as well as a smart daylight panel that recharges during the day and shines in the dark to move more confidently in the evening and night.
Availability and prices
- ThinkPad X1 Carbon will be available starting June 2019 at a starting price of $ 1,709.
- ThinkPad X1 Yoga will be available starting June 2019 at a starting price of $ 1,929.
- ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 is already available for $ 319.99.
- The Lenovo Pro Stereo USB Kit will be available starting March 2019 at a starting price of $ 249.99.
- The camera with the Lenovo VOIP 360 microphone will be available starting March 2019 at a starting price of $ 249.99.
- The Lenovo 700 Ultraportable Bluetooth Speaker will be available starting April 2019 at a starting price of $ 149.99.
- The Lenovo Powered USB-C Hub will be available this month for a starting price of $ 79.99.
- Lenovo Commuter Backpack will be available this month. Price has not yet been determined.